Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 2010 Daring Baker's Challenge: Traditional British Pudding

Ok... How should I start... I was extremely anxious about the first challenge since I know for sure that my dear husband will not touch anything with any insides of animals. On the other hand, I really want to try the recipe's as is, that's how one get to experience with different flavour, right?!

The recipe can be found at : http://thedaringkitchen.com/recipe/spotted-dick

This month's host was Esther, who challenged us to make a traditional British pudding, with that said, it has to be steamed or boiled in water. After reading various variations on the Internet, I found out that many nowadays does it with pressure cookers in order to shorten the 5hours of steaming to only 1~2 hours.



Before and after... doesn't look too different... The taste? Awful!!! I must say, I don't like kidneys.

To be honest, this method of cooking is pretty common for us Chinese. We steam all sorta doughs, sweet and salty, with fillings and without. But if we were to use any type of fat, it'll have been lard and not suet.

For me, this challenge was a failure, I think I will stick to using lard and steam my bums the Chinese way. But thanks Esther for letting me try something that I'll never thought of.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first Daring bakers' challenge! It's great to know you've joined :D You're brave to try out kidneys, i took the easy way out and replaced mine with mushrooms. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it though, did you really use Suet for yours? i couldn't find suet where i'm at so i used butter instead. Will keep in mind to use lard next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I found this white fat in the supermarket and asked if it was pig's and they said nop, so I assumed it's an ok replacement instead of making my own lard.

    Actually, I went to the local butcher and me dijo con una cara:"No vendemos grasa" well, what about giving it to me then?! :(

    I put the unused kidneys in the freezer just in case I liked it, and now I can't find it to throw out!!!! ARG!!

    ReplyDelete