Friday, May 14, 2010

The Daring Cook's May Challange: Chicken Enchiladas

Our hosts this month, Barbara of Barbara Bakes and Bunnee of Anna+Food have chosen a delicious Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchilada recipe in celebration of Cinco de Mayo! The recipe, featuring a homemade enchilada sauce was found on www.finecooking.com and written by Robb Walsh.  Or you may take a look at many member's finish products and the recipe that was given to us in detail here.

I was sooo excited at seeing this challange the first day it was out, first of all, it's my first daring cook's challange, 2nd, I love mexican food, 3rd We love spice and last... I have some frozen tortillas not knowing what to do with, had too many tacos since I finally came back to South America (always had them during ACA's camp).

The challange was about roasting the peppers and making your own sauce. For the sauce I used:
4 Japalenos Chili
6 of the most common chili here
1 cup of phylasis Cape Gooseberries (the original recipe called for tomatillos, but couldn't find them here)
1 limon's juice
1 large chopped tomato
1 large minced onion
1 clove minced garlic
salt, pepper, perejil to taste
1 cup of chicken broth
1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water

1. After baking and peeling/deseeding the chilis and the phylasis, chop them up.
2. Heat up sauten with 1 tsp of grapeseed oil and put all the sauce ingredient's in. Cook til boil as most of the ingredients gives off water (around 10min).
3. Add chicken broth and cooked in medium heat for another 10min, season it with the salt, pepper and perejil.
4. Finally thicken it with the cornstarch water, stir and bring to boil. Done!

Chicken:
In a baking pan, lay out 2 pcs chicken breast cut in large-long strips (around 5 strips/ breast). Season the chicken breast with 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp veg oil, 1 tbsp corn starch. Bake for 15min at 210 Celcius.

Now the FUN STACKING (as I used my 2 left over flour tortillas AND DORITOS' Tostitos, the traditional type with no cheese).

You should have:
2 cup hot sause
2 pan fried tortillas
10pcs Doritos (if you dont want Doritos, you may use another tortilla as I wanted some corn taste)
1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella tossed together
Baked chicken


1. In a baking dish ladle a thin layer of sauce. (I used a 8x8 in glass dish)
2. Lay 1 tortilla in the dish and ladle another 2/3 cup (4 ounces/112 grams) of sauce over the tortilla.
3. Divide half the chicken among the first layer of tortilla, top with another 2/3 cup of sauce and 1/3 of the grated cheese.
4. Stack now with the Doritos, top with the rest of the chicken, more sauce and another third of the cheese.
5. Finish with the third tortilla, topped with the remaining sauce and cheese.
6. Bake until the sauce has thickened and the cheese melted, about 20 minutes. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
7. Ready to serve HOT

The picture looked kindda dry cus it's taken after I refrigerated it, was making it for my DH's microwave lunch box for the next day, so. ^-^ He loved it, except it's too spicy for him, but was okay for me! hahaha~~~ He called me and said: "It started out wonderful, but the further I ate, I just wanted to grab something to dip it in with."

I am adding this to one of my monthly menus ^-^ except maybe use less spicy chili. LOVE THIS CHALLANGE!

2 comments:

  1. yeaa i didn't add much chiles into mine, only 3 small ones. I guess they dont like spicy food in poland cuz it's rare to find chiles at super markets, and if they're there, it's either the wrong color (always red) or it's extreeemeely expensive! I think they consider it an exotic vegetable... how sad!! Anyways, your enchilada looks yummy and way to go with the roasted chiles! I always enjoy extra spice to my mexican food as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 好像很好吃, 不過也好像很難做, 你來做給我吃啦!!!

    ReplyDelete