Thursday, May 20, 2010

Orange-wine + Simple scones

昨天我家老公請了一天假 在家陪我,我們中午去買了halogen floor lamp 300Watts, I know, halogen is so 20 years ago, BUT, couldn't find a worthy replacement. And now, finally, some light in our living room! YEY~~

TODAY, very good mood! ^-^
把前天的Spinach salmon tarta 吃掉後 (damn! should've taken some picture of it, it was good... a layer of spinach+egg+cheese blend, a layer of smoke salmon and then another layer of the spinach blend), I've decided to bake some scones.


I've tried the "World's Best Scones! From Scotland to the Savoy to the U.S." and no, it was not the world's best scones at all, it was... okay... a bit on the dry side. So! today I am baking the "Simple Scones".



Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
  • 1/2 cup raisins (or dried currants)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 large egg
Very simple indeed, mix all the dries together then finger blend in butter (they always recommend freezing it and then grate it, but I always just put it in the microwave for 30sec and it's superb soft). Slowly blend in the sourcream+egg mix. Voila! I doubled the recipe so:

This is ALOT better than the world's best! their main difference is that this one contains egg, and the other uses the egg as "brush on top" glaze and uses milk instead.

After baking these pretty scones, it's my daily orange time (我每天吃4~6顆 oranges/day). We buy those super large oranges with extremly thick skin. These oranges are no good for juicing but great for bitting. I have always wanted to do something with their zest (candied? too sweet...) So, after we bought this bottle of too sweet whitewine (not icewine, but too sweet still), I've decided to try something... pretty :P
Let's wait and see how it turns after a week! I guess I could always use it as cooking wine or for baking sweets, ^-^


這是從我家客廳看出去的景色,  一片厚重的雲covering the mountains a couple of days ago.
Oh, by the way, 昨天出門, we saw most of the mountains are covered by snow already! yeppy~

No comments:

Post a Comment