Monday, May 30, 2011

Strawberry Cake from Scratch by Foodiebride

I was in search for strawberry cake or bread or someway of using lots of strawberry since it's the season now and it's cheap! :) CLP1200/Kg

Scanned through allrecipes as I do everyday, and there's not really a strawberry cake from scratch but a strawberry bread which seemed like a good choice until I read the reviews. Yes, I always 1st. read the most helpful reviews, then read the worst reviews and on. As many mentioned how difficult it is to bake through, I've decided to search further on the net and found "Strawberry Cake From Scratch" with it's beautiful picture and great reviews, plus it looked alot more "puff" (yeah, I know, this is a cake and the other one's a bread), I am sold!

I am not going to post the recipe here but tell you what I've done differently. Nothing! LOL I do not like to change recipes (unless it is highly recommended so in the reviews). I choose the 4 whole eggs instead of the 6 egg whites as I don't really have use of egg yolks (and my eggs are EXPENSIVE! they are organic and costs CLP210/egg).

The whole purpose of me baking anything is usually to lessen my burden in having to make desserts or breakfasts early in the morning for my hubby. So instead of baking it in round pans I've baked it in loafs, easier for cutting and handling. After 30min, it was still VERY wobbly, so had to bake it for 30min longer COVERED up with AL foil to prevent further burning. Total of 1hr of baking on 180C, it came out perfect!



OUTCOME:
A loaf of .... pretty sweet crumbling cake, with no strawberry flavour. It was a bit dry and the butter taste was good but a bit too much.

Would I bake it again? probably, with some changes though, would probably use the egg whites only (more like a chifon), less butter and def. use homemade strawberry jam instead of fresh strawberry for a denser strawberry taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment