Thursday, June 16, 2011

勇敢的俺 買了顆豬頭, Cooking a Pig's head, not for the faint of hearts :)

Today I went to the local wholesale market, La Vega, where all of the fruits, veggies, meats, herbs, etc. are at.

Yes I bought enough to feed an army, but I just couldn't stop myself with the cheap price in comparison to local supermarkets. Here's what I bought: 3kg of apple (CLP400/kg), 1kg red grapes (CLP1000/kg), 1kg green grapes, 1.5kg Khaki, green onions (I bought CLP250/bush but a couple of stores further, the prices went down to 200/bush!!! DARN!!!), 4 corns (CLP1000), 1/2kg Hazelnuts (CLP600), 1 bag of oranges (10kg/2500), something more but who can keep track :P

Finally, we went across street to the meat market and I bought a pig's head, yeap, that's right, an entire pig's head. I asked the butcher to break it up into large pieces and take out the brain for me. The brain can get too sticky if trying to handle at home and it's too high of cholesterol for our family.

It took me almost 30min just to wash it clean and separate the ears, tongue and discard some funny parts (nose and fatty tissues). Boiled it for 5min, discarded the water with impurities. Then took out the pieces with washed the pieces again with cool water. Adding 20g of ginger, it's boiled again with enough water to almost cover everything.

After boiling for 40min, the stock is now white and smells soooooo good!!! I took out all the pieces and the meat came right off the bones. Again placed the bones back in to boil for 5 more minutes and turn off the fire. Tomorrow once it cools, I will be able to discard the extra fat solified on top of the stock.


Forgot to take the picture of the head pre-prepared, but here's what's left after removing the bones. Not too much, it's an 8x8in pan

Here's the ears and tongue with some tofu cooked Chinese braising style (滷豬耳,舌頭)

I just hope that my dear husband won't read this blog until after dinner :P He's got a thing about animal parts, once he knows what part it's from, he's not gonna eat it, much less from a strange part!

No comments:

Post a Comment