Tuesday, June 22, 2010

初試魚丸 Fish ball trial

Last night as my husband told me that he was going to be late and might not be having dinner with me, I looked up my unfroze fish "Tollo" up on the internet and found out that it is SHARK lol. I remember that shark has a strong chewy-bland-sour taste so the preplanned "fillet a la plancha" was not a good idea after all. There was no way that I was going to let a fresh fish just sit there for an extra day nor it is ok to freeze it again, so I decided to make some Taiwanese fish ball! ^-^

After various research over the internet, turns out that it is rather difficult to get the correct texture=> "Bouncy" or as we Taiwanese say it "QQ"

Ingredients:
500g  Shark meat ground (no skin no bone)
1 tbsp salt
25g shredded ice
6 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp white pepper powder
1 tbsp sesame oil

1. Boil 2 liter of water
2. Beat the meat in mixer (I used Kitchen Aid with the flat beater) at speed 2 (low) for 1 min.
3. Add in salt and mix for another 1 min.
4. Add in the rest of the material then mix for 2 min.
5. Finally add in
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1/2 cup of shitake mushroom cubbed "5mmx5mm" (squish out the water)
and mix for another minute.

You may use a spoon or any scooper to make round balls (note that it will be sticky!). Scoop them directly into the boiled water at medium heat. Once the balls are floating for 1 min, it is done! ^-^ I scooped the meat balls at the right side and move them left as they cook so I know which ones are done first.

2 comments:

  1. nice! i tried making fishballs but they're never chewy like the ones in taiwan. I guess the type of meat really matters. Shark, eh? I gotta try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did we only meet a few months ago, if you have been here for years too??

    This recipe looks great, and I will try it, looks much easier than fried fish balls!

    ReplyDelete